Thursday, July 16, 2009

Walking...

Walking is good. I used to make fun of people who would walk for exercise. Because I was "so hardcore" and intense with my exercise, I thought these people who simply walked didn't know what true fitness is. Turns out, I was the one who was wrong. Walking, with sprinting coming in a close second, is the purest form of exercise and human movement. I now find it to be very relaxing and to be the main source of my "cardio-esque" training now. I usually walk in the morning with my dog (so he can get his exercise to) and throw in some sprints (because I love to run fast). There is something about being awake and active and taking in the morning air when most of the world is asleep. It's as if you have the world all to yourself. It's a beautiful quiet.

I have found recently that the phrase "you have to crawl before you can walk, and you have to walk before you can run," applies to more than just the physical. In a sense, with my workouts and rediscovering walking, I feel as though I'm beginning all over again and in a way, crawling... if you know what I mean. I recently started back at school (community college to purse a degree in nursing). I will be officially finishing three classes on July 26th (should be making A's in all of them) and just registered today for four more in the fall. I feel I'm crawling again here, taking the basic courses and setting a good foundation for future studies. The road ahead will be long, but it will be worth it. Where will I be in five years? I know that five years ago, when I asked myself the same question, it seemed like such a long time away. Well, here it is five years later and... damn, it went by fast. I certainly have not wasted the last five years; I've learned a lot about myself and continue to do so, more-so now than ever before. Maybe these are my "identity college years," seeing that I never really went to college, or maybe this is just me, getting close to 30 and realizing that I truly do have the power to do anything I want, it's just a matter of doing it.

So, in some aspects of my life (most) I'm crawling, some I'm walking, and in others (much less) I'm running. I will do my best to find the balance between the three and at times stop all of them, to reflect and take in my surroundings. These are where the best moments are found anyway.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good blog! You should write for a living..maybe.
Mom